Sunday, November 24, 2013

2013 Edublog Award Nominations

In the fall of 2012, I began a quest to find and follow as many quality blogs as I could in order to grow professionally.  At that point, I was following two or three blogs I had stumbled upon by searching on the web for specific resources and noticed how regularly I checked their archives for past posts that I had missed that might contain information I needed to learn more about.  Over the last year, I have subscribed to several blogs that have enriched my educational practices.  I started a Pinterest page so I could catalog these resources and always have them at my fingertips.  Then I started dipping my toe into the Twitter water.  Wow...I'm like a sponge now, trying to follow all of these amazing educators who are generously posting and sharing their wisdom daily.

The purpose of the Edublog awards is promote and demonstrate the educational values of these social media. Visit here: http://edublogawards.com/
In order to express my gratitude to the brave, intelligent and generous people who have shared their thoughts and resources so graciously with me over the last year, I would like to submit my nominations for the 2013 Edublogs Awards.  Here they are!

Best Individual Blog and Best EdTech/ resource sharing blog: http://www.freetech4teachers.com/
Richard Byrne is a man on a mission: to share free, superb tech resources and provide examples of how they can be used in your classroom.  I've gotten so many "goodies" from this blog that I didn't have to think twice about these categories.  Free Technology for Teachers shares free iPad apps, Android apps, Google Tutorials and much, much more.

Best New Blog: http://iheartedtech.blogspot.com/
I heart ed tech too!  What I really love about this blog is I can read it and learn from it in just 5 minutes.  The posts do not take a whole prep period to read through and often offer very helpful short video tutorials.  The author of this blog "gets it"...we don't have a lot of time.  Gets to the point, great ideas, easy to read.

Best Individual Tweeter: @PaulSolarz https://twitter.com/PaulSolarz
I haven't been following this guy for that long.  But in the short amount of time he's been on my radar, I can't help thinking each time I read one of his tweets, "I wish this guy could have been one of my teachers."  The way he is integrating technology into his classroom is inspiring and a wonderful model to teachers who are wondering, "Where do I start?  What should this look like?"

Most Influential Blog Post of the Year: Voiceless But Still Talking (with AAC) Challenge Day 4
http://www.speakforyourself.org/2013/10/04/voiceless-still-talking-aac-challenge-day-4-time-wine/
I was watching this series of blog entries with great interest.  Here we had a mother who decided to challenge herself for one week by exclusively using her daughter's AAC system (Speak For Yourself app on an iPad mini) to communicate.  She wanted to see the world through her daughter's eyes.  And then she wanted to tell us all about it.  I have tried to take a similar AAC challenge in the past for just one night...I usually last about 10 minutes before I get so frustrated and decide to use my voice to communicate rather than a communication device.  I applaud her for sticking to her word and really seeing this challenge through, as well as sharing with us the emotional roller coaster ride of having to rely on an alternative communication system as your voice.  I wish every Speech Language Pathologist and Special Education Teacher would read this blog entry.

Good luck to all the nominees!  And thank you for the inspiration, community support, and resources you continue to provide.


3 comments:

  1. I'm laughing because my latest post is literally a mile long, but I share so many examples, I couldn't help it! Thanks - this is an honor :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's OK Lesley...it's really hard to hold back when you have so much wisdom to pass on to us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness... How flattering. Going voiceless in a verbal world is definitely an experience. Highly recommend for teachers and parents that work/live with AAC. Speak for Yourself is a fluid, user friendly App. Thank you for the nod!

    ReplyDelete